Â Awaiting us this Sunday is the mother of all tailgates.Â Super Bowl Sunday!Â The best part being… You don’t even have to enter the parking lot to take part… Here are some “at-home” suggestions:
Cardnials Fans –
1 oz creme de cassis
Pour the creme de cassis into a wine glass filled with ice.
Fill with red wine.
Read the rest of this entry »
posted in Excuses To Drink, Recipes |
I LOVE ICEWINE!
That’s right! I do…it’s one of the most amazing beverages you could ever partake in imbibing! LOL
For New Year’s we always have champagne, but we always have an icewine for dessert too that night!
In fact, we try to have icewine for every occasion here in the Niagara Region!
This New Year’s we had the Lakeview Cellars 2007 Vidal Icewine.
It’s a very sweet, white dessert wine and it is spectacular, to say the least!
Very Read the rest of this entry »
posted in Wine |
We don’t really know where this came from, but we assume that people who drink beer for water could be asking ‘How long can one live solely on beer’? Well, the answer is definitely not that simple. Conducting a research experiment on this, by feeding individuals simply beer, would be extremely unethical. However, we’re sure some of you would do that for free, but please, don’t!
There are a few facts though that could give us all a hint on whether or not this might be possible. Rather, how long it would take before you start throwing up parts of your liver. The story goes back to the Seven Years War of 1756-63, where physician to the English fleet, John Clephane, conducted this sort of clinical trial. Read the rest of this entry »
posted in Beer, Drunken Stories, Excuses To Drink, Useful Info |
Obama’s Inauguration, a moment in history that will be remembered forever!
As a tribute to the incumbent president,Â SixpointÂ Craft Ales brewed what they callÂ “Hop Obama Ale”. The beer is described as â€œa stout gone porter with kriek lambic.â€Â We are told that the flavors are individually unique yet “…gain their solidarity from their indivisibility.”
So where do you find this celebratory ale?Â While kegs of “Hope Obama” are not in every local pub we can tell you that a few of your local NYCÂ pubs have them stored away to tap on inauguration day.
Where it can be found:
Vintage Irving – Near Union Square (120 E 15th St)
D.B.A – East village (41 1st Ave near 2nd st)
Can anyone out there help us with where it may be found around the nation come Jan. 20th???
posted in Beer, Events, Useful Info |
Hennessy which is celebrating the inauguration of President-elect Obama as our countryâ€™s 44th president with a limited edition “44” bottle. Only 180,000 individually numbered bottles were produced which can be purchased for $30. The bottles are only available in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Illinois, New York City and Georgia. A percentage of the proceeds will be donated to the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
posted in Drinking News, Useful Info |
Around this time back in 2008, I posted the top 10 party schools as per Princeton Review.Â I thought it was time for a little update, with some of our own comments and insights of course! HS Seniors take note:
2009 Top 10 Party SchoolsÂ
1. Universtiy of Florida – Up from #4 last year.Â Their multi-year championship runs in football and basketball wouldÂ even get Stephen Hawking to the keg!
2. University of Mississippi – Stable at #2… Because what else is there to do in Mississippi?
3. Pennsylvania StateÂ University – Up from the 6 spot.Â Â They’ve almost got this right!Â Check out game day at this Big 10 school and you’ll see why it earns its spot in the top 3.
4. West VirginiaÂ University – Down from #1 a year ago. While I can’t explain the drop, IÂ can’t even explain why they’re in the top 5? I guess this calls for a visit!
5. Ohio University – Athens – Up from #9.Â Reasoning… See Mississippi.
6. Randolph-Macon College – Unranked last year.Â Never heard of the place,Â can someone enlighten me on this one?
7. UniversityÂ of Georgia – Down from #5.Â Another football powerhouse.Â Drop in ranking must be due to theirÂ dissapointing football season. Clearly depressed fans party nearly as hard!
8. University at Texas, Austin – Down from #3.Â Someone please explain to me how this happened? UT is known for partying, what warrented such aÂ drop?
9.Â University of California – Santa Barbara – Up a slot from #9 – The school is on the beach!Â Do I need to explain any further?
10. Florida State University – Unranked last year. Personally I don’t see how they made the top 10.Â I was lucky enough to go to the Orange Bowl back in 2005 (PSU vs FSU) and it was like a Penn State home game.Â Their fans couldn’t travel 7 hours to our 21!Â
SizzUp’s replacements for the 10 spot on the list:Â University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Alabama, Auburn… And I can probably think of 10 others more deserving than FSU!
posted in Drinking News, Updates, Useful Info |
Just a heads up to all those headed to the College BCS Championship game tonight.
“The state Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco will be sending 12 to 16 agents to Thursday’s game between the Oklahoma Sooners and the Florida Gators.”
Penalties will be enforced!Â (Read More Here)
Now IÂ went to PSU in State College, PA.Â For those of you who may not know, PSU is known for being hard on those caught drinking underage.Â AllÂ areÂ punished!Â Now I spent all 4 of my football seasons (3Â for which I was under 21)Â at PSUÂ tailgating hard before every game (6-8 games/year).Â Not ONCE did IÂ get an underageÂ violation.Â
Here are my 2 simple rules for staying out of trouble while still having aÂ “good time”:
1 – Red Plastic Solo cups & Water bottlesÂ are your best friend.Â Â In other words don’t be obvious by sitting there with a glass beer bottle or aluminum can full of beer.Â Â Take the timeÂ to pour it intoÂ a paper/plastic cup or even a water bottle, it’ll be your savior!
2 -Â Drink smart!Â Don’t drink to the point where you are falling over yourself and drawing unwanted attention.Â I know this might be hard for some of you, but its better than paying that hefty fine.
It is as simple as that!Â Sure the police presence is annoying, but it doesn’t have to ruin your fun!
posted in Drinking News, Useful Info |
Congrats toÂ user Acen8s for winning our Holiday ‘Spirit’ Contest with this submission:Â
Old Fashioned Hot Buttered Rum Batter
1 stick butter, room temp
Â¾ c brown sugar
Â¼ cup agave nectar
Â½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp clove
To make a hot buttered rum, simply slice a good dollop off of the batter, add to a mug with 2 oz Bacardi rum, fill with hot water, stir to incorporate, and enjoy.
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to collect your prize!
posted in Contests, Recipes |
GREAT OFFER TO START THE NEW YEAR!Â FREE BEER!Â
So much for that low-carb diet.
posted in Beer, Useful Info |